Breaking down’s not just inconvenient. It can also be dangerous, particularly if you’re on a motorway.
So stay calm and …
- Move your car off the road if you can. If you’re on the motorway, try to turn off at the next exit or pull up on the hard shoulder.
- Put your hazard lights on. If it’s dark, switch on your sidelights too.
- Get away from moving traffic. In most cases, it’s safest to get yourself and any passengers out of the car. Exit by the left hand side (the side furthest from passing traffic). And if you’re on the motorway, get behind the barrier.
- Call us on 0333 2000 999 . to be put straight through to our breakdown team. We’ll get to you as quickly as we can.
For your own safety, if you’re on the motorway, do not …
- Attempt any repairs yourself (even simple ones)
- Stand on the carriageway or between your car and moving traffic
- Put out a warning triangle